Saturday, January 7, 2012

I Know What I DON"T Want

If there's one thing that the past few weeks of being disabled and dependent on others has taught me - is that I don't want to continue to be dependent on others.  Not physically and not financially.

I have renewed my commitment to myself to get in control of our finances and of my health.  Today, I started journaling again.  I wrote down everything I ate - including the cookie.  Yes, I ate a cookie - but - I only ate 1.  Not the 3 that I had the day before.  And Andrew and I together cooked a healthy, yet tasty dinner.  And I wrote down everything I ate.  No, I didn't measure - but I'm being accountable for the THINGS I ate.

I also worked on our budget - and when I was dreaming of the patio furniture I wanted and the new chair I wanted for our living room - I reminded myself that I want a new home more - and cancelled those purchasing dreams.

I also figured out a nice, healthy, filling, protein-filled, lo-carb breakfast for myself.  And a similar lunch.  I still need to order more vitamins but I think I can get my protein in without purchasing the expensive shakes.  Breakfast is going to be yogurt with some fruit - either a banana, strawberries or pineapple or a combination of them, topped with some lo-fat yogurt and a little home-made granola.   Lunch - an apple and peanut butter and string cheese.  Lots of fiber, lots of protein, little carbs.

One of my "to-do's" is a container garden on the patio.  It will get me back into gardening which I used to love and provide fresh veggies for our table this summer - and for our friends.  And it will prepare me for taking over the garden when dad isn't able to do it anymore.  And, it will be great exercise.

One step at a time - together, with God, I know I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment